Most home buyers select the home of their dreams based on aesthetics, functionality, and layout. Every home buyer is different. Also, some consider light fixtures, doors, windows, open floor plans, or even the age of the home itself. Luckily, all homes can be updated to the specific styles and functionality that a home buyer would like. So, replacing items like doors and windows could be a good thing. Does replacing interior doors add value? Yes, replacing hollow-core doors with a more modern and solid version can increase the homes value.
What Are My Benefits
With every home project, there are benefits that go along with them. The main reason why most homeowners take on such projects is to boost their home value and make the home to their liking. Also, no one wants to live in a home that they feel looks ugly, used, or cheap. This is why you should consider replacing the interior doors. Let’s take a look at the main benefits.
- Design – changing out all of the interior doors at the same time allow you to keep a consistent design throughout the home. New home construction typically comes with hollow core doors that do not provide much soundproofing or energy efficiency. It’s the cheaper route for the builder.
- Personalization – this is when you can customize the style of doors you would like in your home. Some homeowners like it when the interior doors match the interior windows. Just make sure that the style you have selected makes sense for resale and the layout of your home.
- Energy efficiency – swapping out hollow-core doors with a more solid selection allows you to keep your rooms cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Having doors that are elevated just a few inches from the flooring allows for better air flow and reduces the stress on your HVAC system.
- Safety – installing a more solid door can prevent an intruder from breaking in so easily. The solid doors create a sound barrier for more privacy and can hold stronger door locks within the framing.
- Home value – by replacing your interior doors you are able to update and modernize the style of your home. More solid doors also provide you with added functionality. Always remember that updated styles and functionality will increase home values.
As you can see, replacing your interior doors with various types of doors such as french doors, pocket doors, pre-hung doors, slab doors, or even simple solid doors can add curb appeal and become huge selling points.
How Much Do They Cost
Basic new hollow-core doors can cost as much as $50. However, if you are looking to increase your home value and add some soundproofing and energy-efficient solid wood doors, you are likely going to spend between $2,000 and $5,000. This cost varies depending on the design and style of the door that you are looking to install.
Other Recommended Maintenance
Now that you have a better understanding of the increased home value by replacing your interior doors, you can look into replacing your garage door. Keep in mind that your garage door replacement could be covered by your homeowner insurance. Also, before you go out and just purchase an upgrade, go ahead and double-check your insurance policy.
Next, while you are looking at the interior doors, take a look at the baseboards. If you need to replace the baseboards or they are coming off the wall, you will need to caulk them. This will keep insects and other pests out of the home and aesthetically it looks better too.
Lastly, if you have a hollow door in the home and want to soundproof it, you can. This will save you money. However, you do need to add mass to it, insulate it with curtains or blankets, or replace it with a door that is thicker. If you don’t want to bother with all of that, replace the door with a more solid door.
When Do I Call A Professional
Calling on a professional door company is a great idea for this project. Most homeowners do not have the tools or time to change out every single interior door. It is recommended that all interior doors get swapped out at the same time. Always remember by doing this, you keep a consistent look and design in the home.
If you aren’t sure which doors should be changed out for increasing your home value, you can call on your local home inspection team. They can inspect all of your doors and door frames to determine which doors are hollow-core and which doors might be solid wood. Also, they can recommend a reputable professional door company to design and install your new look.
Replacing your interior doors can become an expensive project. In some cases, you are going to end up remodeling a whole room, just to make a new frame for a new door. Also, keep in mind that hiring the right professional door company to make and install your new interior doors is important. Always get multiple quotes from your local companies.
Call on your local home inspection team to assist with determining which doors can fit in which places. They can inspect the walls and other framing to see what doors just need to be hinged up and which ones might need new framing. Reach out to Atkinson Inspection Services in Orlando, Clermont, and the Villages. They can help recommend a door company or other professional contractors to help you with your needs.