Owning a home comes with a lot of different maintenance needs. In some cases, reinforcing a door or window is necessary to maintain the safety of everyone in the home. Additionally, protecting the door from damage is important. Installing a kick plate can keep your door from getting too messed up and dirty at the bottom. What is a kick plate? Kick plates are meant to keep the bottom of the door that gets kicked from degrading.
Let’s take a look below at some more details regarding kick plates for doors.
How Do I Install A Kick Plate?
Believe it or not, installing a door kick plate can be fairly simple and the plate is to protect the door. Following the recommended steps by the manufacturer is key. Let’s take a look below at the recommended steps.
- Hold it in place – Keep the kick plate at 2.5 cm from the edge of the door. This allows for an easy installation.
- Fasten the plate – Use some tape and secure the plate to the door.
- Mark your door – Use a pencil or marker, to mark the spots on the kick plate that you will be drilling into the door. The markings will show on the door.
- Remove the plate – Take the plate off once you have marked the holes.
- Hammer and center punch – Use these tools to create indentations in the markings on the door where you are going to drill.
- Drill bits and drill – Using the correct-sized drill bit, place the bit over the hold and begin drilling the holes where the markings are shown.
- Secure the plate – Place the kick plate back on the door and screw your screws in the top and bottom first. Then work outwards on the plate so that the kick plate stays flat.
Other Recommended Maintenance
Now that you know what a kick plate for a door is, this could be a great time to read up on whether or not replacing your interior doors adds value to your home. Before you look to sell, speak to your local realtor to see if any door upgrades are necessary.
Next, if there are hollow doors in the home and want to soundproof them, you can. Soundproofing the doors will save you money. Typically, just replacing the door with a solid door is more likely.
Lastly, if you have a fiberglass door as your entry door, you will want to read up on how to cut a fiberglass door. This ensures that you are protected and the plate is properly installed.
Installing a kick plate that is stainless steel on your front door allows you to protect the door. Kicking the door open happens when your hands are full and you cannot push the side of the door open.
When Do I Call A Professional?
If you don’t have the tools, time, or energy to install a kick plate on your entry doors, call a professional door company. Most companies have someone who understands the ins and outs of your doors. Also, reach out to your local home inspection team to see if you need to replace the entry doors before you install one. In some cases, the doors might be warped and rotted out, so installing a new door is best. Save yourself time and resources by having one installed when the new door is installed.
Using your local home inspection team allows you to make the right decisions when it comes to upgrades. No homeowner wants to waste money on upgrades that do not provide a return on investment. Additionally, you might need to upgrade the door before adding a kick plate.
Also, some door companies might offer to install one on your new door purchase. Consequently, your local home inspection team can recommend a reputable door installation company. Reach out to Atkinson Inspection Services in Orlando, Clermont, and the Villages. They can help recommend a door company or other professional contractors to help you with your needs.